Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The people u meet on the london subway

An interesting place and a nervous system in itself, the london underground or "the tube" is totally a gazers paradise. A. U dont have mobile. And B. Its very interesting I benefit  by both cause without my phone i am forced to write n ve a topic to write on!!
The people u meet range from the locals - "safeds" to the wannabes to the professionals all in suits (std here just not for me) to the desis to the south asians to the kallus n my personal favourites... The tourists with maps, big bags n cameras looking at their maps every station n listening n reading the in train signs repeatedly a 100 times at least... Not long ago i was one of them.. Now i ve a local friend who gives me my directions!!! :)


Coming back to the people!!!!


Very interesting is the way people go abt their own way!!! Very rarely do u see people talk here... Everyones got a paper, a book, a signal less phone or music!!! Aloof life is what these guys lead on the tube with a stark contract to what they lead above the ground, be polite, acknowledge and smile at strangers. The dresses n outfits people where here are another topic all together but ill keep it brief!!! :)  formals are the majorities but there always is one eccentric outfit in the train. A local in the weirdest of street clothes, to the biggest of earrings to the brightest of red!!
Red seems to be the favourite tube colour! Kabhi signal kharab hua to yeh use kar le! Theres atleast one coat,  one footware or one tie thats the bright red!!! I need to see this colour hair here!! The million dollar question is - does someone dress for the tube! :) i am taking the tube today, what do i wear!!! Does  anyone ever start their
day here  like that!


Moving onto hair... Gel seems to be the favorite here!! N i got to learn it the hard way why!! The wind that blows here is no ones friend specially not ones hair!! Men with short hair find it diff to manage its a nightmare for the women!! I know ask me!! Gelling ur hair to keep it safe from blowing away in the wind is one thing!! Gelling it
for hairstyles really unusual ones is another thing. Hair here doesnt follow geometry - lines, curves.. its more amoeba designs... Hehehhe well this time i am exaggeration... Saw just one like that.. But my oh my was that a funky out of the world, gravity geometry defying hairstyle all helds together with that strong gel!!


What amazes me is that there are abt 15 diff lines that cover london as a city n they form the Nervous system of underground travel. Theres not one time when i ve gotten lost or havent understood or even traced my way back in this maze. Ok, it happened once!! I am human after all n those who know me will tell u direction n me n this happening only one is awesome!!!! :) testimony to how well planned and how amazingly well knit this system is!!


What pleased me most was to see Sada sardar family from southhall - hep kaur with high boots n stockings n smarty sardar with khata peta halthy baby... So cute!!! True indian picture of the england!!!


I ve enjoyed my travel on the tube thoroughly!! Wld do that all day if i cld!! These are just plain simple observations n nowhere am i trying to be cynical, judgemental or pointing fingers.


Thats my short story on my limited travel through the london tube! hope u cld feel like u were there!! :))

No comments: